WHY CONSIDER PLANTING A NATIVE TREE?
- Planting a native tree is a gift to wildlife, your island and the Earth.
- You nurture local biodiversity.
- Native trees are beter adapted to your island’s weather, soil and other environmental conditions.
- They provide the best native wildlife habitat.
- They are more resistant to insect and disease attacks, and are less likely to be stressed than non native plants.
- Local plants are adapted to local conditions and often have lower maintenance requirements, such as little or no fertilizers.
- Native trees and plants are a link to your island’s natural heritage.
- Many introduced plants or non natives offer less value to our native wildlife.
- Native trees and plants are the backbone of the island wildlife's food chain because native insects, birds and other animals have evolved with them and find it hard to survive without the food and shelter they provide.
Well, I hope you enjoyed this post. I also hope you will join me in planting more native trees on our islands.Ti napu.