Monday, March 22, 2010

Can't Sleep Project

I couldn't sleep last night. I don't think I got enough rest since I got back and now my coughing has relapsed this entire weekend. I was pretty restless flipping through pages of my current reading materials and flipping through scenes of the movie I was playing. I was stuck in insomnia land and the sandman was nowhere in sight.

I noticed some cord laying around that I rolled together while I was on Managaha Island two weeks ago. I was invited by the SDA School to do outdoor classes and I decided to do a nature walk with the younger kids to talk about plants and natural history. At the end of the walk, I picked up a dried screwpine (Pandanus tectorius) leaf, ripped off the spines and started thigh-twisting the strands to cordage. The Chamorros name for this particular screw pine is pahong. I was surprised how tough the cord was after I rolled it. Here's a post with a tutorial on how to make cordage.
I also had a giant clam (Tridacna maxima) bead I took off from a necklace about a year ago that was just lying around unused. I decided to take it off of the nylon cord I had originally used and make a more natural piece. The Chamorro word for giant clam is hima and they called the shell money/ornamental beads, salape'.Hima is very difficult to cut and carve since its calcite-aragonite matrix is very hard, finely-packed and so crystal-like that it cracks easily when it gets heated. Here is the finished piece.
I had a few extra strands of the leaf to roll a smaller cord for the salape' attachment. It is pretty tiring to roll the tiny cord with your fingers.
I still need a lot of help with my technique. Can you see where I cheated? It's my secret.

Sadly, I did not have enough of the pahong leaf to use on the loop, and had to resort to using black nylon cordage. Here is a simple loop and knot for the necklace clasp.

Voila'. It's done.

Well, I am glad of the finished product since it is mostly all natural materials. I need more practice to really get the binding of these things done well. Come to think of it, I haven't had a lot of time lately to make any more necklaces.
I did accomplish to get sleepy after everything was done so the project suited me well for the time it took.

Ti napu.

The Beachcomber.

PS. Oops! I misnamed the leaf that I used. There are two types of native screwpines in the Marianas: Pandanus tectorius which the natives call kafu' and Pandanus dubious which is locally called pahong. I have a picture of both in this entry. Check them out in the Guam Forestry website.

5 comments:

Drea said...

Very nice! I think it's awesome that you crafted the cord too!

Mai said...

It's so beautiful!!! I love it!

The Beachcomber said...

Drea- Thanks! I find that the binding/cording in making these the hardest to learn (esp. when no one has time to teach you how to do it..hehe).

Mai- I haven't thanked you for posting pics of Tali from your OR visits. I see her wearing the one I gave her for her baptism and she just emailed me saying that she still wears it often. <3 you!

Sean said...

Hey, BC look us up next week. We'll be in Saipan from April 2 to April 10 or 11. We'll be staying at the compound.

Permai Lindal said...

Thanks for sharing info Webmasters SEO Marketing Forum and Webmasters SEO Marketing Blog and Webmasters SEO Marketing Blog and Uber People Sucks and Permai Marketing Blog and KJRI Los Angeles and Cellulars Sales Los Angeles and Dogs Sitting Los Angeles and Security Guards Jobs Los Angeles and Guam Night and Guam Blog and Maltese Dogs Breeder

Contact: webmasterspride@gmail.com