Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Symphony, My Anthem- Roll on, roll on

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it means to be me, and a friend shared the following verse. I want to be many things but this says in a profound way that I should stick with simplicity and this verse points out quite well what I should be aiming for.

To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never. In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common. This is to be my symphony.
-William Henry Channing

I also found a new anthem (after hearing it on the radio and asking Lewie what the title was). I feel that it best describes where I am in life right now although, I suppose most men my age already have families and children, and the satisfaction that comes along with them. But, most of the song still holds true for me:

And I swear that time's a trick
It disappears in oh so quick
Man, I was just sixteen
And now I'm starin' at thirty-six
But I'm still havin' a good time


Man, those lines really get to me. Anyway, I am at yet another crossroad in life where I feel like I should be streamlining a bit. It'll all be clearer soon as to what this means, but right now it is important for your Beachcomber to find his balance in the scheme of the universe.

Roll on, roll on. Ti napu.

The Beachcomber

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The quote by William Henry reminds me very much of a favorite of mine by Whitman. I suppose I'd like to adopt it as my own anthem. I hope you enjoy it and take it to heart as I do.

"Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown, or to any man or number of men--go freely with uneducated persons, and with the young, and with the mothers of families--reexamine all you have been told in school or church or in any book, and dismiss whatever insults your own soul; and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency, not only in its words, but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes, and in every motion and joint of your body."
-Credo by Walt Whitman

Thank you for noticing the beautiful and knowing how to enjoy the simple.

The Beachcomber said...

Thank you for sharing. I enjoy Whitman. Soon, very soon, there will be more time to appreciate beauty and simplicity as I trim lifes excesses. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I remember when Where Ever I May Roam was your anthem. That song speaks to me as well. 36? Hey, someone's birthday is coming up soon!
-B-